Why Book a Day Tour?
If you have ever traveled to a new country or city, it can be exciting and terrifying trying to figure out what to see and do. Day tours are a great way of being exposed to what the city has to offer so that you can eventually explore on your own. The best part about day tours is that at the end, you can go back to your hotel room to rest and relax, or you can go out into town and explore on your own.
What better way to travel and explore Melbourne than with a day tour with Melbourne Tours?
Day Tour Attractions
Looking for a day tour to keep you and your family busy? Here are a few of the day tours to consider while visiting Melbourne and surrounding areas.
Great Ocean Road and Twelve Apostles
When visiting Australia, you can’t miss out on any opportunity to explore and take in the ocean views. One way of taking in the stunning coast of Australia and the blue waters is by traveling along the Great Ocean Road, which is classified as a National Heritage attraction. Stemming 243 kilometers, tourists weave through rainforests and cliffs. This stretch is a popular attraction for many outdoor lovers. It is also popular amongst tourists who want to experience a different side of Melbourne.
Along the Great Ocean Road is the Twelve Apostles, which are limestone stacks formed between five to 15 years ago and stand 160 feet high. Tourists may be wondering why there are only seven when the name is Twelve Apostles; however, there were never 12 to start with. Originally there were eight stacks, but in 2005 one stack collapsed, and there are seven remaining.
Other names that Twelve Apostle is known by are Sow and Pigs, Port Campbell Limestone, and Pinnacles.
If you are looking for a day at the beach or enjoying mother nature, consider Twelve Apostles and Great Ocean Road.
Located off the south of Australia, Philip Island is a perfect day trip getaway. One of the main attractions for tourists to Philip Island is that there is a vast amount of wildlife that roam free and sanctuaries. Some animals that can be found there include koalas, native birds, as well as penguins. Annually, 3.5 million tourists visit Philip Island to see the 32,000 penguins that come ashore every sunset.
Other attractions on Philip Island include the Philip Island Grand Prix and the Pioneer Festival.
Would you like to have an up-close and personal look with penguins? With the Penguins Direct day tour, you can have an up-close viewing of penguins in their natural habitat as they come ashore in Melbourne. The Penguins Direct tour brings you to Summerland beach in the early evening. Here you can watch penguins come ashore as they burrow in the sandy beaches of Melbourne. This is truly a sight worth seeing if you are visiting Melbourne.
Puffing Billy with Wineries
Do you have a passion for touring vineyards and tasting different wines? Do you have an appreciation for Australian wine? If you are looking for a relaxed and low-key sightseeing experience, hop aboard the Puffing Billy with a Wineries day tour. The Puffing Billy is perfect for all ages; however, if you are looking for an adults-only experience, the Puffing Billy is excellent for exploring the rolling vineyards of Melbourne.
Live entertainment and fine cuisine, the Puffing Billy is a great day tour activity.
What to Bring on a Day Tour
Typically, day tours are excursions outside the city or where one would normally go back to their hotel. When it comes to day tours, there are a few basic essentials that one should bring with them to make the trip a bit more pleasant and comfortable.
Nine things you should have handy if you are taking a day trip in and around Melbourne.
- Water – There may be shops and stands, but it never hurts to have a bottle of water handy for the road.
- Snacks – Again, there may be shops and stands to buy food; however, if your bus or car gets stuck in traffic or there are unexpected delays, it’s essential that you have something that you can munch on.
- Raincoat or umbrella – Depending on the season, it may be worth bringing a raincoat if you don’t want to carry an umbrella. You never know what the weather can be like in Melbourne as it has been known to surprise tourists with everything.
- Sunscreen – Don’t be deceived by the clouds in the sky; the sun can still emit UV rays. Consider having sunscreen handy, especially if you are going to the beach or places like Twelve Apostles.
- Passport – While some would argue it’s safer to leave one’s passport in a safe in their hotel, having your passport on you can be good just in case you find yourself separated from the group, etc.
- Cash – Though many places take credit cards, money is better to have on hand if you are going to remote areas. Opting for smaller bills is recommended.
- Pen and paper – You just never know when you may need to write something down; consider having a pen and scrap paper handy in your bag.
- Bag – You are going to need to store your items somewhere; having a bag that isn’t bulky is going to handy. If you are going somewhere and want to buy souvenirs, having a backpack makes it easy to transport it back.
- Tissue or Wet Wipes – Travel with cleanliness in mind, and if you are traveling with kids, having tissue can be handy.
Travel Melbourne Tours
Leave your stresses behind when you travel to Melbourne, as Melbourne Tours has you covered with day tours and sightseeing activities. We can make recommendations to suit your interests and budget. Let us take care of all your travel needs while you enjoy all that Melbourne has to offer. Book with Melbourne Tours today and see how wonderfully majestic the city is.
Visiting the Twelve Apostles, Loch Ard Gorge and coastal towns along the way, our Great Ocean Road & Twelve Apostles tour is by far our most popular tour and there are plenty of reasons why.
Home to the little penguins, the Phillip Island tour is the perfect trip to take to experience the Australian wildlife with opportunities to get close and intimate with koalas, wallabies, penguins and so much more.
Journey through the breathtaking Dandenong Ranges in a classic steam train, enjoy a beautiful morning tea before finishing your day off with wine tasting at some of Victoria’s most exquisite wineries.
Offering some of the most magnificent countryside in Victoria, experience the Dandenong Ranges in full as you enjoy a ride on the Puffing Billy steam train. Built in 1900, Puffing Billy is Australia’s oldest steam railway. We then head back to Melbourne via Olinda – one of the quaint little craft villages in the area.
Phillip Island is also home to the worldly renowned Penguin Parade and to some of Australia’s most popular natural wildlife attractions. If you want to experience everything amazing Phillip Island has to offer, then the our all new Best of Phillip Island tour is your perfect choice!
We’ve got you covered. This afternoon/evening tour is ideal for those with limited time in Melbourne. Each night at dusk, the Little Penguins waddle up Summerland Beach and make their way to their burrows in the dunes, a ritual that has been followed for thousands of years.
Short on time? We’ve got you covered. This tour is perfect for those who are running out of time, yet still want to see more of what Victoria has to offer. Let us take you to Puffing Billy & Phillip island in just one day!
This tour takes you to Ballarat, Victoria’s biggest inland city and Sovereign Hill. Explore this perfectly re-created 1850s living museum showcasing the working and living conditions of the Gold Rush era.